[Evolution] search `from' names feature gone?

Greetings all,
        A few revs ago (possibly 1.1), I was able to sort by `from' name in the
preview pane and begin typing a name I was looking for and it would jump
to the message with the name that started with what I was typing.
        Clear as mud, right?  So let's say I've got 1000 email messages in the
preview pane, I sort by `from' and begin typing `chris', it would jump
to the sender whose name began with chris.  Outlook has (had?) this
feature also and also a bit more capable (if I typed the last name after
chris, let's say `smith', it would highlight that senders' email instead
of the first chris found).  Now when I try to use this feature with evo
1.2.1 it doesn't appear to work (and I can't locate any toggle to
enable/disable this setting).
        Was this intentional?  Are there any plans on bringing this back?  I
realize I can use the search feature (which I have been in the absence
of this), but it sure was convenient!

thanks!

jas