[Evolution] Check for new messages in all folders

On an IMAP account, in the "receiving options" tab of the Evolution
account editor, there is a "Check for new messages in all folders"
check-box. If I have understood its use correctly, it means that the
folders pane updates the new message count in every folders of the
account each time the account is checked.

I use a maildir account. The "Check for new messages in all folders"
check-box does not exist for that type of account. When Evolution checks
for new mail, it seems that only the current folder has its new message
count updated. I would have expected that new message count update would
be effective for all folders, like in IMAP. What is the normal behavior
?