[Evolution] SMTP, EHLO, and 502 response

Evolution will not send mail.
I have 1.4.5 and 1.4.4 and have the same issues.
I tried using pre-compiled packages and compiling on my own.
Just because I'm paranoid, I re-loaded slackware 9.1.

The issue is this:

--- snip ---
220 smtp011.mail.yahoo.com ESMTP
EHLO sts.

250-myhappysmtp.server.com

--- snip ---

notice the extra line between 'EHLO' and the server's response. Evolution is putting the carriage return on the line BELOW the EHLO line.
the server eventually replies with the following later in the transaction:

--- snip ---
502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)
--- snip ---

Evolution thinks that this is in reply to the command:
--- snip ---
MAIL FROM:<definity geo yahoo com>
--- snip ---

but it is not....

I used netcat to manually do this exact same transaction excluding the line with just the carraige return and it worked fine. I then re-connected and just hit the enter key and i got my '502 command not implemented ....' line!

Here is the entire transaction as-sniffed:

--- snip ---
220 smtp011.mail.yahoo.com ESMTP
EHLO sts.

250-smtp011.mail.yahoo.com
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME
502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)
AUTH PLAIN myhappyencodedpassword
235 ok, go ahead (#2.0.0)
AUTH PLAIN myhappyencodedpassword
503 you're already authenticated (#5.5.0)
EHLO sts.

250-smtp011.mail.yahoo.com
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-PIPELINING
250 8BITMIME
MAIL FROM:<definity geo yahoo com>
502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)
RCPT TO:<blah>
250 ok
QUIT
250 ok
221 smtp011.mail.yahoo.com
--- snip ---

any thoughts?  Has this been addressed already?  Thanks in advance!

Chad