[Evolution] importing records

I am in transition from W2K using Time & Chaos contact manager and
Calypso email client to Debian Linux using Evolution 1.4.3

After reviewing FAQ's, list archive, etc I exported T&C contact records
to Mozilla 1.4.2 address book using csv export/import successfully.
Account information is all correct and useable.

Then I imported the Mozilla addressbook file into Evolution, or tried
to. Things clunk and wirr but there is nothing there. I have tried
automatic selection through the wizard and selected ldap manually
without success.

I have been at this for days and can't believe it can be this tough.

TIA

Chris