Re: Netscape as default browser (was: Re: [Evolution] ImproperMozillastart aft

> > > Can this script be customized for Netscape 7.1? For the past couple of > > > months, I've been searching for a way to use Netscape w/ Evo instead of > > > Mozilla. Netscape is set as "default", but I need to know how to make a new
> > > window or tab open while one window or tab is already open.
>
> #!/bin/bash
> netscape -remote='openURL('$1', new-tab)' || netscape $1 - This worked
> for netscape

This is the same as I posted (basically, beside some very minor
changes). Just curious: Why did you do those changes?

To be honest with you, this is all real new to me and I thought gnome-moz-remote applied specifically to gnome and mozilla. I didn't know if gnome-netscape-remote would work. Does "sh" in #!/bin/sh stand for any shell? Now, my script is like the one below, but I subsituted "netscape" for mozilla.

> >#!/bin/sh
> >mozilla -remote 'openURL('$1', new-tab)' || mozilla $1 &
> >--- snipp ---
>
> What is the "&" for at the end? Should this be added to my script?

The & runs the command in the background, thus giving me my shell back
when running this script by hand. You will need it at least, when
running the script from a terminal.

The "&" has been added to my script. guenther, thank you for this bit of information.

> >Now, as Netscape and Mozilla are very similar, I assume substituting
> >netscape for mozilla in the above script should do it.
> >
> >Save the resulting script as netscape-remote.sh in your path and set the
> >executable right (for you).
>
> Is it okay that I created a symlink?  /usr/local/netscape/netscape
> netscape

Well, you did not say where exactly you created the symlink and why you
did. The netscape executable should be already in your path. You will
need the remote script to be in your path, too.

Without thinking, it was created in my /home. It's been deleted. /usr/local/netscape was not in my path. It's been added to my path. The remote script is in my path.

> Also, following your previous post, in
> gnome-default-applications-properties, the following is inserted:
> command: /home/user/bin/netscapetab.sh "%s"

You only need the file name without the path, if ~/bin is in your $PATH
environment variable. Then you even can run the script from the terminal
or any other app with private default browser settings.

Thanks, I changed this to the file name.

> >HTH
>
> Thank you.  It helps a whole lot.

You're welcome. :)

...guenther

guenther, thanks a million for your patience, understanding, and for helping others. :-)

Celsun

MSN 8: Get 6 months for $9.95/month http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup