Re: [Evolution] Using Galeon instead of Mozilla with Evo 1.4/Gnome 2.x

Lloyd,
Whilst I appreciate the fact that you responded, your response was
distinctly unhelpful.
Firstly, if the answer is in man galeon, why on earth would a script
be necessary?

The benefit of such a script is using tabs if available instead of
losing the currently displayed pages. (After all, that is my script. ;)

(This applies to most browsers, except Galeon -- see below.)

Second, four clicks on Google sounds like you believe that any moron
could do that so it clearly isn't worth explaining how.
Thirdly, I'm not a programmer (are you?) and I don't fully understand
exactly what the mozilla script says.

Actually, the logic is pretty simple and I will explain it:

The line says: Open page in a new tab in an previously existing browser
OR start the browser and open the page.

This is necessary, cause the browser cowardly refuses to run the
browser, if you tell it to use a new tab in an existing browser -- when
no browser is running.

Fourthly, I tried to substitute galeon for gnome-moz-remote but galeon
simply started with a blank screen.

Clicking an a link and starting with a blank screen sounds not intended
to me. ;)

In short, here are the steps to set Galeon as default Gnome2 browser.
For some more infos, please see the archives of the last 2 days.

Galeon as default browser (plain):

$ gnome-default-applications-properties

Set options:
 check 'Custom Web Browser'
 Command: galeon "%s"

Galeon as default browser (with new tab benefit):

Change the Command to:
 Command: galeon --new-tab "%s"

Galeon (unlike most other browsers) starts the browser, if issued with
the request for a new tab but no Galeon previously running. (At least
for me on my tests...)