[Evolution] Evil, evil gal-1.99.3 and e_utf8_gtk_menu_item_new_with_label

I grabbed all the various packages from the Ximian site in preparation
for going ahead and building 1.3.2, compiled 'em, installed 'em,
including gal-1.99.3.  Somewhere along the way having gal-1.99.2 around
before now has bitten me in the rear.  I know from reading the
ChangeLogs that this and a few other choice symbols were removed from
gal-1.99.3, but when I try to start Evolution 1.3.2 I get three dialog
errors like:

Cannot activate component OAFIID:GNOME_Evolution_Mail_ShellComponent :
The error from the activation system is:
g_module_open of
`/usr/lib/evolution/1.3/components/libevolution-mail.so' failed with
`/usr/lib/evolution/1.3/components/libevolution-mail.so: undefined
symbol: e_utf8_gtk_menu_item_new_with_label'

libevolution-addressbook.so and libevolution-calendar.so also get
kvetched about, and then the whole thing goes blooey.

What I want to know is which bloody library is resurrecting those
symbols from the dead?  I have removed gtkhtml-3.0.2 completely, then
done a clean rebuild of it, and rummaging /usr/lib/lib*.so with objdump
isn't showing anything with that symbol in it excepting the old libgal
from the Gnome 1.x tree.  Is it possible that Evo 1.3.x is picking up
something stupid from the presence of Evo 1.2.4?  Any suggestions?  I'm
using gal 1.99.2 in the meantime and would rather not schedule a rebuild
of my *entire* source tree if it's not going to be necessary.