Re: [Evolution] Which version to hack?

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 07:26, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
Hello!

There are a couple of features that I need so desperately that I am
ready to hack on them myself.

The main feature that I strongly need is an ability to set different
default accounts for different folders (that is, when I am creating a
message while viewing a certain folder, the message is created from the
account set for that folder).

It seems rather easy to implement (at least without a GUI for setting
it; direct config editing will do, and a GUI for it can be added later).
And Evo is open source, so I can just go and hack.

But, I want the result to be useful for others; thus, I want to be able
to propose it for the main source tree.

Question: in this case, which version should I get and hack? And, os
there a way to install it alongside a stable version, using the same
folders?

Yes, the dev and stable versions should be parallel installable.  You
can just dump your local copy to a prefix and set up your environment
properly as well (with PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH, etc).

Right not I am using 1.2.3, but I do understand that a patch for that
version might be hard to weave into the current development tree.

If its a new feature, your best to probably hack 1.3.x which is CVS
trunk and GNOME 2.

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr ximian com>