Re: [Evolution] Evolution 1.2.2 - odd behavior with Yahoo POP server

Thanks for the explanation of POP3 - from that it seemed clear that OE
wasn't doing some magic unknown to Evolution, so I tried a small
experiment, sending a few test messages and reading them with OE and
Evolution.  Turns out, I was wrong, they ALL go to the Yahoo Trash
folder.

Um, the missing first question I never asked... :-/

So apparently, (a) I just never noticed this strange behavior before on
Yahoo, and (b) as Guenther said earlier, it is apparently a gratis
"feature" of whatever mail interface Yahoo has behind their POP3 server.

I probably never noticed it before because, since my complete switch
from OE to Evolution, I've been paying more attention to mail issues
than previously.  While watching the results of my experiments on Yahoo
today, I noticed a little statement on one of Yahoo's mail folder
viewing pages that says "The trash folder is emptied periodically,
automatically."  So it appears the POP3 DELE/UPDATE action does not
really remove a message from the Yahoo Inbox, it just moves it to trash,
which is purged periodically, and entirely out of control of the POP3
client.

DELE    command (action, if you wanna)
Update  is just a state, that cannot directly be triggered

Hey, I just learned the last bits about that topic, so let us be
precise. ;-)

My apologies for the confusion, and thanks to Guenther for giving me the
right clues.

Your welcome. It was quite a bit of fun, actually...

Looks like *I* am the April fool!  Oh, well, at least a more educated
one now.

At least, that let me dig again through the POP3 protocol...

...guenther

unrelated footnotes:
 [1] http://developers.slashdot.org/developers/03/04/01/0332202.shtml?tid=156
 [2] http://slashdot.org/articles/03/04/01/0218226.shtml?tid=172&tid=156
 [3] ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3514.txt
 [4] http://www.thinkgeek.com/default.asp