Re: [Evolution] Case Insensitive File Dialog

On Thu, 2002-09-19 at 00:42, Anthony E. Greene wrote:

On 18-Sep-2002/19:47 -0400, Jeffrey Stedfast <fejj ximian com> wrote:
Uhm, except that the Unix filesystem is NOT case-insensitive. The
restriction is not in the file dialog, but rather the file system.

I think he just wants the sort order to be case insensitive.

Oh.

As a long time Linux user, I have gotten used to case sensitive sorting.
It always takes me a few seconds longer to find things in the few apps
that use case insensitive sorting.

Yea, same here.

Anyway, I think the sort order is built into the GNOME file dialog.
Changing this might involve forking the relevant GNOME library. IMHO, it's
not worth it.

It's actually part of Gtk+ (gtk_file_selection_dialog)

It would be better to try to get the GNOME folks to add this as a config
option. The 'gmc' and 'mc' file managers have this option.

Unfortunately, there's no place to have the config file to store this
preference. It can't be stored in gconf because Gtk+ can't depend on
gconf. You also need a place to change this UI config option...

Then again, I'm not gonna be spending any spare cycles on this so I
don't much care about the issues :-)

/me shuts up now.

Jeff

--