[Evolution] Arrow icons gone?

I apologize if this has been covered already; I just joined this list.

I upgraded to Evolution 1.2 (running Ximian Gnome on RedHat 7.3).
Suddenly, the arrow icons (to move forward and backward through
messages) have disappeared from the message window.  They are present in
the main window, but I must use the preview pane in order to use them.

I don't typically use the preview pane, and like to open a message in a
new window and then step through my other unread messages using the
arrows.

Has anyone else seen this?  Is it intentional?

thanks for your help.

--
Chris Boyce
Berbee