[Evolution] gpilotd exits with a "cannot open display"

This on Evo 1.2 and RH 7.3:  When I try to synchronize my Visor via USB,
gpilotd recognizes the little machine ("setting PILOTRATE=115200") but
then exits with "Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:".  Never doen this
before I upgraded to 1.2 release yesterday. "xhost +" doesn't help.
Anyone else having this problem? JPR, wwhat do I do?
--
Richard Zach ...... http://www.ucalgary.ca/~rzach/
Assistant  Professor,   Department  of  Philosophy