[no subject]

I found a fairly neat news/mail rfc summary page on the tin site:

 http://www.tin.org/docs.html
also http://www.leafnode.org/links.html

It also seems as if the IETF NNTP working group is still working
actively on creating an updated NNTP protocol specification, but they
dont seem to be too keen on 'client' features, more focused on
'transport' features.  How they expect people to read the stuff they're
moving around, doesn't seem to have factored into it.  At least that's
the impression I got from the mailing list archives, and from the ietf
proceesings.  A lot of stupid politics, the search draft seem to have
got dropped sometime during 1999-2000 and there's no comment on why it
was.  The politics is putting me off the whole idea now :)

I suspect at least some servers have implemented the draft though
(news.mozilla.org seems to for example), so perhaps it is doable.

Maybe the solution is to use an IMAP gateway and search using that,
afterall.  Or just stick to mailing list exploders, and lots of sites
for load sharing.