Re: [Evolution] recovering the evolution dir

The easiest way, is probably to renamine ~/evolution to something else,
then run evolution, let it install a fresh copy of the files, then copy
everything back over the top of it.  A couple of files like
'searches.xml' have to be there, otherwise it thinks its not an
evolution directory, rather than just refreshing the missing files.

Sounds like you may have some hardware problems too perhaps.