[Evolution] vcard import failure: "Multiple iids"

hi
I've been trying to import a vcf file with multiple entries in it, but
don't think that's the reason why I've been getting evolution-shell
warnings such as
"evolution-shell-WARNING **: Multiple iids can support /home/kwg/1.vcf".

None of the files have been successfully imported.

The vcards in the file don't have UIDs, do they need to?
All files that I've tried importing have .vcf extensions. The first line
in each of them is "BEGIN:VCARD" and they are in unix format.

I'm using Evo version 1.0.2.

--
Beware the fury of a patient man
                   - John Dryden