Re: [Evolution] Evolution generating invalid message-ids

So where's the bit in the email that relates to the subject of the
message?

On Sat, 2002-07-27 at 10:13, Richard Zach wrote:
Just FYI:  Balsa had a similar problem--compuserve.de wasn't accepting
messages for delivery if they have a Message-ID.  In the ensuing
discussion, the possibility of adding a config option "Do not generate
Message-ID" was considered. It wasn't implemented. The thread starts
here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/balsa-list/2001-December/msg00009.html

Jamie Zawinski wrote something for DRUMS on message-id's:
http://www.landfield.com/usefor/drafts/draft-ietf-usefor-message-id-01.txt
(I know this is an Internet Draft and there's no reason whatsoever to
do anything recommended there--other than that Jamie Zawinski is a
pretty bright guy.)

From what Matt Curtin and he are saying, it's clear that they take
"globally unique" in RFC 822 to mean actually unique, not just unique
for the generating host.  They suggest to use the host/domain part of
the user's address as a fallback if you can't get the FQDN of the host.
They also say that "use of an unqualified hostname for the domain part
of the Message-ID header would be foolish, and should never be done."
By extension, I take it, using "localhost" or "localhost.localdomain"
for the rhs of the message-id would not be advisable.

-R