[Evolution] "Cannot initialize the Ximian shell" after "su"

I'm running Evolution 1.01 and it does not want to start if you run it
after su'ing from someone else's account.  This is very reproducible by
doing the following:

- Log in at gdm as someone else. (don't know if will do here)
- Open a terminal
- su - <your account>
- evolution&

The command line shows:

evolution-shell-WARNING **: Cannot access Bonobo/ConfigDatabase on
wombat: (IDL:
OAF/GeneralError:1.0)

And a dialog appears saying:

Cannot initialize the Ximian Evolution shell:  Configuration Database
not found

If I run oaf-slay and then try again it works.  I searched Bugzilla
found bug 19329, but I'm not sure if what I found is the same thing.  Is
this a known issue or should I open another bug report?  Can anyone else
duplicate this?

Thanks.

Gerald