[Evolution] Had sound, now it just beeps

Desktop: KDE

Up until the latest CVS update, I have been able to run evolution inside
of artsdsp and get it to play a sound file as a new mail notification.
It would start up the esd daemon, but since the artsdsp was used, the
sound went from evolution to esd to artsd.

Now this no longer works.  I see the esd starting up, and prove that
it's running inside of artsd (since I can use esdplay to play a sound),
but evolution just beeps like it can't access the sound daemon.

Did something change recently dealing with the sound in evolution?

--
TTFN,
Lonnie Borntreger