[Evolution] What are the plans for officially supporting LDAP auto-completion?

Hi,

Evolution seems to satisfy most of my requirements for an email
client.  The one thing that I cannot do satisfactorily is automatic
address completion from an LDAP server.  I maintain my entire personal
addressbook on an LDAP server (which works beautifully with evo's
capabilities for writing to LDAP servers).  I have added the
"unsupported" magic required to turn on LDAP auto-completion to my
config.xmldb.  But, it doesn't quite work flawlessly yet.  I know that
this is not a supported feature, but if one of the evo developers have
some insight into when they expect to be able to officially support
it, I'd love to know.

One of the problems I experience with the current LDAP address
completion setup is that it makes the address entry process seem
sluggish.  As far as I can tell, at some point while I am typing in an
address or name in the To: (or Cc:) field, evo goes out and queries
the LDAP server.  But that process seems non-deterministic, and at
least part of it seems to be a blocking operation since it causes the
entry field to stop accepting keystrokes for a brief period.  A
"better" (in my opinion :) method may be to query the LDAP server only
when the user presses an explicit key (such as <Return> as in Netscape
Communicator, or Ctl-K in Outlook Express).  This isn't the most
elegant solution, but it prevents unnecessary queries to the server,
and allows the user to know explicitly whether the system is
interacting with the LDAP server or not.

Just my 2 cents...

Yatin