[Evolution] Lost email settings on sig creation

Lost my email settings again today. I wanted to create a sig for one of
my accounts, so first I browsed to ~/evolution, selected shiva-sig.txt,
then hit the edit button. I created a simple sig in the Gnome editor
that popped up (why didn't it use $VISUAL?). I saved the sig and exited
the editor. The account editor was no longer responsive and would no
longer paint itself. I used killev, and found on restart that evo went
into the new user wizard.

Why is so much of the email settings stored in binary? Why not store
those in XML and record an encrypted set of passwords in a separate
binary file?