Re: FW: [Evolution] A dependency problem

On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 11:27, Rory D. Hudson wrote:
I haven't heard back from anyone regarding this issue, and I was curious
if someone knew a solution to my problem.  I currently can't get
evolution to install on two of my machines....Please help me, thank you
very much

-----Original Message-----
From:         Rory D. Hudson
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 9:03 PM
To:   evolution ximian com
Subject:      [Evolution] A dependency problem

Hello there....
First off Evolution and red-carpet are really shaping up and looking
great.  However, I am having one problem here that I hope somebody could
help me with.  I had a computer with version 0.14.99 of Evolution.  I
wanted to install the newest version of Evolution so here is what I did
I removed Evolution 0.14.99, and when I go to install the newest version
of Evolution via Red Carpet I receive the following error message:
Unable to complete RPM transaction: dependencies are not met:
Evolution-0.14.99-snap.ximian.200109272130 requires libgpilot.so.0
Evolution-0.14.99-snap.ximian.200109272130 requires libgpilotdcm.so.0
Evolution-0.14.99-snap.ximian.200109272130 requires
libgpilotconduit.so.0
I am confused as to why I am receiving this because I have already
removed Evolution.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated, thanks again
and keep up the awesome work!

For whatever reason, it would appear that removing evolution14.99 is
causing a dependency issue within Red Carpet.  Probably that most
reliable way to get evolution up and running again is to bypass Red
Carpet.  After you have a functioning system maybe Red Carpet will work
in the future.

Without knowing what distro you are using and what gnome-ximian files
you may have on your computer it is impossible to tell how to get your
system working, however, here are two attempts:
1. Reload the evolution rpms that you had originally used to get 14.99

2. Ignore 14.99 and go directly to evolution 1.0.2 using the rpms from
ftp.ximian.com .  This will involve considerable dependency problems but
the people using SuSE 7.3 and Mandrake 8.1 had to do this until
recently.  before 1.0.2 was available, below was the minimum rpms needed
to get SuSE 7.3 to install evolution 1.0.1.  Your mileage WILL vary.
gnome-spell-0.4-ximian.1.i386.rpm
aspell-0.33.7.1-ximian.3.i386.rpm
bonobo-1.0.14-ximian.1.i386.rpm
bonobo-conf-0.14-ximian.1.i386.rpm
evolution-1.0.1-ximian.2.i386.rpm
gnome-pilot-0.1.63-ximian.2.i386.rpm
gtkhtml-0.16.1-ximian.1.i386.rpm
gtkhtml-1.0.0-ximian.1.i386.rpm
libbonobo-conf0-0.14-ximian.1.i386.rpm
libgal14-0.14-ximian.2.i386.rpm
libgal18-0.18.1-ximian.1.i386.rpm
libgal19-0.19-ximian.1.i386.rpm
libgtkhtml15-0.12.0-ximian.6.i386.rpm
libgtkhtml18-0.15.0-ximian.2.i386.rpm
libgtkhtml19-0.16.1-ximian.1.i386.rpm
libgtkhtml20-1.0.0-ximian.1.i386.rpm
libiconv-1.5-ximian.3.i386.rpm
libnss3-0.9.5-ximian.1.i386.rpm
pilot-link-0.9.5-ximian.2.i386.rpm
pspell-0.12.2-ximian.4.i386.rpm
Just go through this list one at a time and satisfy all dependencies and
then you will have a working evolution.

This is not a direct answer to your question, but it is an answer to
your problem.

--
Ralph Sanford       -       If your government does not trust you,
rsanford telusplanet net   -   should you trust your government?

DH/DSS Key   -   0x7A1BEA01