[Evolution] Spell checker problems

Spell checking used to work for me in Evolution (1.0.2) but stopped some
time ago.  The 'Edit:Spell Check Document' option is still available in
the new message window, but always reports no misspellings even when I
type garbage into the message.  Automatic spell checking as I type also
no longer works.  I have the following packages installed...

        aspell-0.33.7.1-ximian.2
        gnome-spell-0.4-ximian.2
        pspell-0.12.2-3

...and they all verify with no errors using the 'rpm -V' command.  Where
can I look next to solve this problem.  Thanks.

David