Re: [Evolution] Reply-To Question

Replies to a couple of posts enclosed.

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 18:54, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 19:37, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 12:27, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 14:36, Ray Hunter wrote:
I would like the reply-to field to populate to the list email
address...is this possible?

So would I, but we seem to be in the minority.

I don't think it should do this by default.  You can always fill in the
list as the reply-to by hand.  I'm not convinced that adding this as an
option is worthwhile.  (mind you, I'm not actually an Evolution hacker,
but I try to keep up with it pretty closely).

See what I mean...

No, I'm afraid that I don't.

My annoyances, as is, are:

- just hitting reply does not send to list as usually intended.

Doing this means that you have to have some way of replying -other- than
hitting the 'reply' button, in case you want to just send mail to the
original sender.

Isn't this the rare instance?  I always thought that the purpose of mail
lists is so that questions AND ANSWERS can be shared with everyone on
the list.  Occasionally a reply to sender only is warranted, but this
should be rare.

Not at all.  There's a large variety of lists out there, not all of them
are discussion lists.  For example, on the Linux Managers mailing list a
question is posted, all replies are sent to the poster, and the poster
summarizes the replies to the list.  There are other types lists where
mailing people privately is either the norm, or very common.

 Furthermore, the existing code to make 'reply-to-list'
work is horrible and hacky.  I haven't found a 'good' solution for this
yet (although it's been suggested that I look at the gnus code.  I hope
to get there soon).  This is one of those problems that appears HARD to
solve.

I don't know.  I subscribe to about 8 lists and only 2 of the 8 work
like this one.  The other (hosted by ultraviolet.org) is the worst

You mean like the Evolution list?  I wasn't talking about how the
mailing list manager handles it, this is completely unrelated to
Evolution.

administered list I've encountered in 9 years on the Internet.  The
other six seem to accomplish the reply to list function without any
problems.  I'm not sure what hard to solve problems you are speaking
of.  Many lists, which default to reply to list, even have an option as
to whether or not you receive copies of your own posts..

The problem that's hard to solve is for the mail client (Evolution) to
determine what the list is, and to automatically generate the correct
reply destination.

- reply to all means original poster gets two copies.  Why?

It doesn't.  I think you're missing out on some common use-cases.  There
are many mailing lists out there which do not require you to be a member
of the list before posting.  That is to say, reply-to-all only results
in the sender getting two copies of the mail if they're not on the
list.  Removing the sender on 'reply-to-all' is a BAD idea.

You're kidding, right?

No.  I don't understand what your confusion is, please clarify.