Re: [Evolution] POP3 spamkiller

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 15:03, ahimsa wrote:
Greetings
This may have already been dealt with, and if so I apologise for
repetition ...
I am wanting to use a spam-filter for my POP3 dial-up account, where
Evolution 1.2.0 is my email client. Thus far, I have set some rules up
for sender/subject, but this is still reactive and I'd prefer to do this
more proactively if possible. I know with KMail - for e.g. - one can set
a command to execute that will launch a program to scan the POP3 account
and filter spam out according to pre-defined criteria without
downloading it, and once it has dropped/rejected the email that fits the
criteria, it will then download the remaining mail. Is there something
similar (both program and setting) that would accomplish the same thing
using Evolution?

I don't believe that the POP3 protocol will allow you to do filtering
without downloading the whole message.

It has been discussed on this list several times, but in Evo 1.2 you can
set up a filter to pipe the message to a program (like SpamAssassin -
www.apamassassin.org) and then process the message based on the return
code from the program.  However this requires downloading the entire
message and sending it to the program to be filtered.

See the list archives for details on setting up the filter to use
SpamAssassin - it works really well.

--
Bob Haddleton
bobh lucent com