[Evolution] Spell checking no longer works with SuSE 8.0

Hi,

I recently upgraded to SuSE 8.0 from 7.3.  I have evolution 1.08 and connector 1.07 under KDE3.

Since the upgrade, spell checking doesn't work in Evolution new mail.  I have loaded gnome_spell, aspell and pspell..............

An rpm query gives..............
pspell-12.2-206
aspell-0.33.7.1-91
aspell-en-0.33.7.1-91
gnome-spell-0.4-1.ximian.2
ispell-3.2.06-114
ispell-american-3.2.06-114
ispell-british-3.2.06-114

In the gnome preferences, spell checking is turned on and the dialect is set to "en".  The "spell check document" option is active in the composer, but even with blatant typos, insists that there are no spelling errors.  I've tried it with a dialect of en_gb and en_GB as well, to no avail.  The presence or absence of ispell makes no difference.  If I remove aspell or pspell, the spell check option gets grayed out in the menu, so the system seems to be aware of the state of the installation.

Am I missing something?

TIA,

Paul