Re: [Evolution] Playing a sound when new messages arrive

Attached little pgm will do the trick, needs kernel 2.4 since it uses
dnotify.  Be aware of setting it up, requires access to tty's so either
start it in rc.local file or _NOT_ preferred as suid or su.
Anyhow, I just monitor my Inbox with it, you can modify it to play
different sounds for different mailboxes, I exclude all incoming mail
from mailing list by rules, so they don't get into my Inbox and
therefore I don't get to many beeps.  And I use a beep which is
different from the normal terminal beep, so I know that I got mail, and
not a compilation finished in another workspace.
Since it uses the kernel to get notified it really shouldn't matter
which evolution you are using. If you got trouble, play with the repeat
number in the main loop or the timeout parameters, it excludes normal
evolution house keeping from beeping.

Hope this helps.
Ronald

BTW. Works only with local mail, pop3, mbox .... And you _MUST_ change
the path info  in 2 places for your env. before compiling, it's just a
quick hack.