Re: [Evolution] dynamic auto-fetch frequency?

You could simple click 'get mail' more often.

On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 14:26, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
Here's an idea. If people like it I'll put it into bugzilla.

Motivation:
My mail volume is irregular. When a mailing list dives into a busy
thread, I can get a message a minute or more. Other times (like at 4AM)
I get a message an hour. When traffic is high I find myself hitting
send/recieve to see if there's new mail.

Solution:
Rather than having one frequency at which to check mail (eg: every 10
minutes), give evolution a lower and upper bound on mail-check
frequency. Once evolution has downloaded mail, calculate the current
message frequency: X messages per minute. Then check mail again in
min(upper_bound,max(C*X, lower_bound)), where C is some constant. This
would mean you'd predict to get C messages on the next check. The
lower_bound would keep you from hammering your mail server and the upper
bound would prevent it from going hours without checking.

Disadvantage:
It would make the dialog to control mail fetching frequency more
complex.

What do you think? Is this crazy or a decent idea?

--Ben