RE: [Evolution] Filters on IMAP

On Mon, 2001-10-01 at 18:39, Thomas Mailund wrote:
On Mon, 2001-10-01 at 23:05, s-luppescu uchicago edu wrote:
On 01-Oct-2001 Thomas Mailund wrote:

Hi list. I've just started using IMAP from evolution and I'm having some
problems with filters for moving mails. I want to move most of my mails
from the INBOX to a number of different folders using filters, but
evolution won't allow me to create such filters. I can create filters
for moving mails to my local folders, but not to any IMAP folder. There
seems to be no problems with manually moving mails between my IMAP
folders, however, so I don't see why I shouldn't be permitted to do so
automatically.

Is it a bug or a feature? Is there any workaround? I'm using the latest
Red Carpet snapshot, btw, on a RedHat 7.1 box.

I think the problem is that in IMAP you don't actually ``receive'' messages

I should still be able to manually apply filters on the folder,
shouldn't I?

Nope. The way I understand it, the messages have to actually be
downloaded from the server to your client software and stored on the
client for the filters to get applied. The filters get applied in the
middle of that process. With IMAP, the messages just stay where they are
on the server. Since they don't get transferred, there's no way to apply
the filters.

Stuart Luppescu         -=-=-  University of Chicago
ÂÃÊ ÂÃÃÃÃÃÃÃÂÃÃÃ(EUC)  -=-=-  s-luppescu uchicago edu
http://www.consortium-chicago.org/people/sl/sl.html
PGP public key: www.consortium-chicago.org/people/sl/pubkey.asc
       ICQ #21172047  AIM: psycho7070