Re: [Evolution] to be usable

Mark Neill wrote:

On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Levente Farkas wrote:
- I'm not able to import my netscape addressbook! without this feature
  no one with switch to evo from netscape. I try to export to ldif my
  addressbook, but I've got a few "Importer not ready. Wait 5 seconds."
  or sometime after the first try seems to import it but the contact
  list is empty, sometimes the importer die (crash). if it helps you
  I can send my ldif file.
- why put a "--" before my signature? the signature in my signature file
  is my full signature and I don't would like to add an extra line with
  2 dash!
- I use imap server to keep my mails. why don't use the imap servers
  for draft and sent mails. ok I can set it in the settings but it'd
  be more natural defaults.
- another thing at the summary just the local mail folders can be
  inserted, but all of my mails are on our imap server so what I'd like

Switching from one mail client to another, regardless of which, is a pain
in the...butt.  You're not getting it any herder going from NS to Evo than
you would, say, from NS to Outlook, or To Eudora, or Mutt.

there are importers:-) and at least the most popular mailers can be
supported.

1)  0.99-1.snap is not the newest version.  Reports are that the new
versions support Netscape address importing.  Look for a 0.99-2 version.

I use red-carpet on redhat 7.2 Evolution Snapshot channel (Nightly
snapshots of the Ximian Evolution groupware suite) and there is no
newer package!

2)  There is a "--\n" before your signature, because technically, that's
how signatures are supposed to be formatted.  Mail RFC's and
recommendation documents use this separator to break the signature from
the body of a message when you do things like reply-wth-quote.

ok. I didn't know about:-(

3)  Because, IMO, this is silly.  You can't assume everyone will be online
100% of the time they are using their mail client.  Many people on dialups
do offline reading.  Setting the Sent and Draft folders to be, by default,
online will break such user's setups.  Setting to local by default does
not break the setup of users who are 100% connected.  Less impact with
these choices, and as you point out, you can change it, so this isn't a
real problem.

understand your point.

4)  This is a limitation of IMAP.  In order to do this, Evo would have to
constantly refresh the mailbox status from the server.  See the answer to
#3 as to why assuming 100% connectivity is bad.

not realy in this case those who set it have to be 100% online, those
who not online don't would like to put their folders to the summary.

 -- Levente                               "Si vis pacem para bellum!"