[Evolution] Installation Difficulty

I am using RH 6.1 on Kernel 2.4 & XFree86 4.x, have both Gnome & KDE
desktops which come with 6.1.

Being a new convert to Linux, I have been trying to get Evolution working
as I found by reading reviews that evolution might probably be a good
substitue for Outlook, which I rely on currently for maintaining my contact
lists.

Downloaded the tar/gz files and followed the instructions. Got stuck at the
stage mentioned below:

I get the following error while running ./configure:
checking for GTK -
version >= 1.2.0... no
*** Could not run GTK test program, checking
why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file
config.log for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK was
incorrectly installed
*** or that you have moved GTK since it was
installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the gtk-config
script: /usr/bin/gtk-config
configure: error: GTK not installed