Re: [Evolution] RC2 still broken

On Sun, 2001-11-18 at 20:18, Ralph Sanford wrote:
Downloaded and installed Evo RC2 using Red Carpet on to SuSE 7.2.  I was
looking forward to a fix for the broken PGP that started in RC1.

RC2 does not provide any relief.  A message signed by PGP is reported in
Evo as PGP 2.6.x is not supported.  EXCEPT the sender signed the message
using PGP 6.5.8 (I know that because I signed from a second machine and
emailed it to myself).  The message is readable so the error report from
Evo is just very annoying.

You are a tad bit confused here, Evolution isn't complaining that the
sender signed the message with pgp 2.6.x, it's complaining that you have
Evolution configured to use pgp 2.6.x and that that version of pgp is no
longer supported for use within Evolution.

However if the message is encrypted then Evo is broke, dead,
non-functional.

IF the message is encrypted, and of course if there is an encrypted
attachment, then Evo shows the header of the message and the error
indication from Evo that 2.6.x is not supported.  The body of the
encrypted message, the attachment and any possible method of recovery
are not visible.  The is no encrypted undeciphered text, no icon or menu
holding the text, nothing.

The recovery is to set Evo to leave messages on the server at all
times.  And then to close Evo and use a different email client to
retrieve messages from the server, sort through those messages, find the
encrypted message and view the email all through the other email client.

The result is that I am having to manage 2 email clients and the
messages left on the server when all I want to do is receive and send
encrypted email, preferably with Evo.

While Evo's handling of encrypted email is not perfect, as I have
mentioned in earlier posts, prior to RC1 it was generally functional.  I
understand that there was a change with PGP coding in RC1 with the
removal of support for PGP 2.6.x.  Now there needs to be a fix so that
encrypted messages can be used with Evo with at least the functionality
that was in the previous beta releases.

All that you need to do is point evolution to your pgp binary and it
will auto-detect that the binary is pgp 6.5.8 and *poof*, problem
solved.

Jeff