[Evolution] SSL connections

OK, I'll admit I'm new to secure connections. Is there a way to tell if
the secure connection is actually secure? I was thinking about the lock
icon in Mozillascape.

On first connection to the server, I found the certificate had expired
and was named incorrectly and... Since this is in-house, I accepted it
and contacted the sysadmin to have them update the certificate. Since
then it's just connected, but I have no indication that it's actually
using SSL, aside from the fact that I'm connecting to the 993 IMAP port.

Thanks for your help.