Re: [Evolution] Case-sensitive email addresses in contacts

On 27 Mar 2001 10:58:37 +0100, Ross Burton wrote:
Hi,

I love the clever email addresses in the message view, but I have a
problem.

Last week I quickly populated my address book by adding the email
addresses of everyone I send mail to by right-clicking on the address
and selecting "Add to Addressbook".  So now, if I right-click on an
email address which is in my address book I get their details, and a
"edit details" button. Very nice.

However, if I added (say) myself with the email address
"r burton 180sw com", clicking on the address "R Burton 180sw com"
doesn't pop up my details.  It appears that email addresses are being
treated case-sensitive. I believe this should be changed, but only if
the email address specification states that addresses are not case
sensitive.

Well according to rfc822, section 3.4.7:

     3.4.7.  CASE INDEPENDENCE

        Except as noted, alphabetic strings may be represented in  any
        combination of upper and lower case.  The only syntactic units
        which requires preservation of case information are:

                    -  text
                    -  qtext
                    -  dtext
                    -  ctext
                    -  quoted-pair
                    -  local-part, except "Postmaster"

        When matching any other syntactic unit, case is to be ignored.
        For  example, the field-names "From", "FROM", "from", and even
        "FroM" are semantically equal and should all be treated ident-
        ically.

And for reference, an email address is formed as:

     addr-spec   =  local-part "@" domain        ; global address

So infact, local-part is supposed to be case-sensitive (i.e. your mail
name).  Although I haven't seen any mail delivery that ever treats the
name as case-sensitive however.  I doubt there is an updated rfc for
this (but i could be wrong, often am).

I doubt our treating of the addresses is completely to spec either (i.e.
only treating the local-part, when not postmaster, as case-sensitive,
and not the whole address).

 !Z