Re: [Evolution] Re: More problems trying out Evolution

On Sat, 17 Mar 2001, D. Pierce-Price wrote:

General comments would still be welcome about the feasibility of me trying
this out via the snapshot packages. How easy is it to back out? Can I just
remove the relevant RPMs?

Following up to my previous posts (again!), I installed the required
libraries as RPMs, and tried to build Evolution 0.9 but install it
somewhere in my (non-root) home space. I chose ~/Evolution (with a capital
E so as not to conflict with the ~/evolution directory). I supplied the
prefix to 'configure', and had GNOME_PATH, PATH, and LD_LIBRARY_PATH set
as suggested throughout compilation and installation. There were no
errors, just some warnings (for example that things weren't being
installed in /usr/local/lib)

However, when I try to run Evolution, it successfully moves files into
~/evolution but then an error box pops up with:

Cannot initialise the Evolution shell.

No errors appear at the command line. Am I making life difficult for
myself by trying to install in a non-standard place?

Many thanks,

Douglas

--
Douglas Pierce-Price                | Queens' College
Cavendish Astrophysics Group        | University of Cambridge