[Evolution] Keyboard focus request.

I've been using evolution since 0.4 and I'm impressed by how much it's
improved and how fast.

I really enjoy being able to use the keyboard to navigate thru new
messages, but I think that the keyboard focus should be looked at.

Firstly, let me say that the keyboard focus currently does what you
would expect it to do in that it sends the key stroke to the pane that
is focused.

Also, I should state that I'm talking specifically about the message
list pane and the message view pane.  (Sorry if these names are wrong,
but I think they accurately describe where I'm talking about.)

When I'm reading mail, occasionally the message will be longer than the
message view pane and thus needs scrolling.  This involved changing the
focus of the pane to the message view pane and then scrolling.  However,
I then have to click back in the message list pane to either delete the
message, move to the next unread message, or scroll thru the messages
using the arrows.

I think it would be much easier to use evolution is some of the keys
acted on the message list pane when the focus is in the message view
pane.  For example, the delete key can't do anything in the message view
pane, so pressing it should delete the message (and move to the next
one).  This could also be the case for the <n> and <p> keys, they should
move to the next and previous unread messages.  The arrow keys on the
other hand should remain focused on the message view pane as they are
needed for neavigating the messages.

But doing this, it would be possible to keep the focus in the message
view pane, and to move thru all unread messages using only the keyboard
(and never having to change the window focus.

What do other people think?

mintSlice

--

Rodd Clarkson
redfish bluefish [creative]

It's not a 'standard' if only one company uses it!