[Evolution] Checking for new messages

Good morning,
I'm using evolution to access messages stored in the ~/evolution/local
tree. They are all stored as maildirs. I don't retrieve messages from
/var/spool/ as I have fetchmail-sendmail-procmail delivering messages to
their appropriate folders. I don't want to use evolution's filtering
abilities since I bounce back and forth between evolution and mutt. I
notice that evolution does not see new mail in my various folders until
I exit evolution and come back in. Is there a way to make this happen
since I'd rather keep evolution open. Alternatively, is there a better
way to be doing this?

Thanks,
Stephen