Re: [Evolution] PGP/Encryption? (and X.509)

On 06 Mar 2001 08:01:46 -0500, Michael Gerdts wrote:
On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 04:59:51PM -0500, Scott Miga wrote:
Is there any sort of PGP or encryption support for Evolution?

I havent checked to see if GnuPGP will work yet.

I would also be interested in knowing if there is any work underway to make
it work with X.509 certficates.  In the corporate world X.509, S/MIME, and
PKI are words that tend to carry more weight than PGP or GPG.  I think that
this is a fairly critical area for evolution to be able to compete with
Netscape and Notes (and likely others) in the client arena.

If this is just a matter of having hooks available to execute the proper
commands, I think that openssl provides all the necessary commands.  They
could use some gui and text wrappers for signing, encrypting, managing
trusted certificate authorities, managing revocation lists, etc.

We cannot use openssl due to licensing, we are going to use NSS instead.
However, S/MIME is to be worked on very soon at least.