[Evolution] Attachment problem

I ran into some trouble with attachments yesterday.  I mailed a text
file containing lots of floating point numbers.  The file gets corrupted
in transit.  There are a number of places where 1.0 gets turned into
1..0 (ie it gains an extra decimal point).

The attachment was 134256 bytes long and has 8 corruptions.  They appear
to be randomly scattered through the file.  I'm guessing there is some
sort of end-of-buffer problem in whatever routine is used to encode the
data.  I'm afraid i know nothing of how all this works.

The copy of the message that gets saved in Sent items is un-corrupted,
but that is presumably taken before the attachment is encoded for
transmission.  The snippet below is a copy of the attachment header when
it lands back in my mailbox + the data following this header is
corrupted.

------_=_NextPart_000_01C0FFEF.453B52DA

I am using:

evolution-0.10.99-snap.ximian.200106181444
Red Hat Linux release 7.1 (Seawolf)
Kernel 2.4.2-2 on an i686

Finally, the only other piece involved in all this is a M$ exchange
server.. i'd be delighted if that was the culprit, but I suspect it is
innocent in this case.

If anyone would like a copy of the offending file I can forward it
(presumably if i gzip it then a different encoding scheme would get used
+ it would survive the journey in tact?)

John Gill