[Evolution] Weird addressbook problems

Long and confusing explanation.. but it boils down to me being
contact-less and unable to make a new contacts list.

Evo changes db for contacts.  I try the stuff in the faq for converting
and discover I don't have the right packages installed.  Talk to monkeys
on IRC and end up deleting my contacts (kept the backup) to just make
new ones.  No big deal if I lose the old ones, as long as I can make new
ones.  Problem 2 is that I CAN'T make new ones.  All the buttons are
greyed out in the contact view and right clicking just hangs at
"querying addressbook".  Install the right conversion packages... and it
won't convert.  Something is wrong with the file.  (probably me doing
something stupid, but it's too late now)

So what do I do?  If I delete it again I can't make contacts.  I can't
convert it because I appear to have screwed something up.

HELP!
Thanks!
bex