Re: [Evolution] delete mail should move to trash

On 03 Jul 2001 09:42:12 -0400, Michael Leone wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Neill" <mark thisismyown com>
To: <evolution ximian com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 03, 2001 9:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Evolution] delete mail should move to trash

Check 'hide deleted mail' if you want this behaviour.

Doesn't this still leave the deleted mail in the folder it was deleted
from,
taking up space there instead of a separate "Trash" folder?

It would still take up the space - is there an "Expunge Trash on Exit"
option I've missed, or would it be difficult to add?

Yes, I realize. But it wouldn't be taking space in the folder it was deleted
from. With many deleted but not expunged mails in a particular folder, the
system has to go a longer distance to find the end of folder mailbox file,
to append any new incoming mail. (in the case of mbox filer, anyway). And
disk activity is always the slowest part of any program's work.

Uhm,

1. this assumes you're using mbox, which needn't be the case.
2. the 'delay' seeking to the end of a file isn't a real issue with a
modern filesystem.  Go read any book on operating systems that talks
about filesystems, or peek through any kernel source.

We dont even seek anyway, we just use the O_APPEND flag to open.

The way we've implemented trash is the way it should be done.  Its
simple, its fast, its efficient, and its more robust.  Moving messages
around is slow (so instead of just setting a flag, you have to copy the
message content, then you have to copy the whole mailbox you took it
from, if you're using mbox, to compress the space again), inefficient,
and well, just wrong.