Re: [Evolution] Feature requests

Dear Jeff,

Thanks for your recent reply.  I agree with most of what you said!

I completely agree with you about the danger of "bloating" before the
software is stable.  I agree that your highest priority at the moment
is to make sure existing features are stable.  It is much more
important that release 1.0 is stable, that that it have many more
features added.

When you say that many of my feature suggestions should wait till
after 1.0 I agree entirely!  A few of them could go in before 1.0 but
for the rest, most definately wait till later.  Perhaps I should have
prefaced my suggestions with the comment that many of them had the
longer term view in mind.  I suppose I thought that if I mention these
ideas now, it gives you guys longer to think about possible future
directions.

Yes I do agree that it's not worth adding options that hardly anyone
will use.  Well actually, let me qualify this statement.  The way I
would like to look at it is that one should consider the following
factors when considering whether it's worth adding a certain feature:

1. How many people would use it?

2. How powerful an option is it?  Ie, would it add significant value
to the software for those people who did use the option?  (Even if the
number of people using it is on the small side.)

3. How much work would it be to code it?

4. How would adding this option affect ease of use for users?  Ie, how
much (possibly unnecessary) complexity would it add?

Factor 4 is largely a question of proper design.  Well designed
software should present a simple interface for the beginner user, yet
allow sufficient complexity for the seasoned and able user.  Design
which achieves this goal is often difficult to do, but usually
possible and most definately worthwhile.

Factor 2 is one which is often missed by products designed for the
mass-market.  There is a tendency to cater for the "lowest common
denominator".  About 15 years ago I bought an average priced digital
watch.  It was a very good one which served me well for quite a few
years.  It had one feature I loved --- a setting which adjusted the
monthly time gain or loss.  Using this I could set my watch so that
after a month it was out by only a second or two.  Sadly the day came
when I had to replace my watch, but I could not find one with the same
feature.  The watch I currently own gains about 40 seconds after a
month.  I can only conclude that the majority of people didn't use the
functionality of that setting and so the mass-market manufacturers
ditched it.  But it was a very nice option.  It meant that I could be
confident my watch was accurate and I only had to reset my watch once
a year or so.  These days I have to reset it much more frequently.
More to the point, I am constantly having to think when I last reset
it and estimate how fast my watch currently is --- a real pain.

My point is that "good" software is not always the same thing as
"mass-market" software.  I know in a sense you are targeting Evolution
at the mass-market, but I believe it is possible to do this without
sacrificing ideals of making it "good".

When I think about how this idea applies to Evolution, I think of the
filtering rule syntax.  The mass-market would be happy with a simple
list like structure, with the choice of either "anding" everything
together, or "oring" it together.  Having the ability to mix anding
and oring would add considerable power to the software, making it a
really "good" bit of software.  Perhaps only a minority of people
(20-30% maybe) would actually use this added power, but those who did
would be extremely glad of it.  I realize that this project would have
to be of lower priority than some others, and a longer term goal.
What I am suggesting however is that you do include it in your plans,
so that evolution is designed for this functionality to "slot in" when
it eventually is developed.

Well that's about all I wanted to say.  I think we are basically in
agreement.  Thanks for listening and keep up the great work!  I really
am appreciative of the work ximian programmers are doing!

Cheers,

Mark.

Jeffrey Stedfast [fejj ximian com] wrote:
It's not that I don't believe in config options, I do. I just think
people get too carried away with config options which ends up bloating
the piece of software out of existance. I'm all for trying to make
Evolution useful for as wide an audience as possible, but I also think
that it's not worth my time to add options that only 2% of the user base
is even going to know how to use nevermind actually use it :-)
Wouldn't you agree?

I think that once Evolution reaches 1.0 and is considered "stable", that
would be the time to start bloating it with mostly-useless features.
Bloating it with features before it's even stable is in my very humble
but correct opinion a terrible waste of resources and not a very good
idea as we have deadlines to meet and the more features we code the less
time we have to actually fix stability problems :-)

I think that this is the biggest problem with a lot of free software
projects (other than perhaps being underdesigned). They implement every
possible feature imaginable before the application can even stand on
it's own. It's just asking for trouble.

Please, don't get me wrong - features are good, but only after the base
features work well. I think that you did have some very good ideas (I
even think some of them should definetely be there before 1.0). I just
think that the time for most of your features should come after 1.0 or
at least not be added until everything else is working correctly ;-)

Jeff