[Evolution] Serious problem with local mbox indexing

I thought it was a fluke last night when I'd select on a
message header and would see a different message, so I
removed the .ibex and .ev-summary file.  But today when I
downloaded more messages, I noticed more problems.  The
headers look correct, but I have two separate headers
that point to the same message, and the one message that
the second header belongs to cannot be seen from
Evolution (it's in the mbox file).  I'm afraid to expunge
this, because last night when I expunged I lost e-mails
that I had NOT marked for deletion, and after that
Evolution complained that my mbox was iretrievably
corrupted (it wasn't, just the header files were).

What is going on here?

Dan