Re: [Evolution] International calendar request

On 01 Jan 2001 21:14:53 -0500, Hassan Aurag wrote:

 First happy new year everyone. Speaking of which, I'd have a request
with which I might help.

 While most people use the standard grogorian calendar, I think many
(muslims and hebrews among others) might want to use other calendars. My
request here applies equally well to the stock gtkcalendar widget, but
that's another issue.

 For the islamic calendar I can help with the functions to convert, but
I am sure you will find many people who'd help with other calendars (the
other I know of is the hebrew one).

 The implementation would essentially go like this:

 - modular so that people not interested in other calendars won't have
to download all modules related to those.
 - Each module would implement either a combo standard/other calendar or
only other calendar depending on user's wish.
 - Translation when it becomes applicable is handled by that module.
 - All internal scheduling is handled by standar time: so when one
appointement is entered in eg muslim dates it'd be converted to standard
time before processing.
 - In a few words, the module should implement the visual part of
calendaring.

 Thanks for reading thus far.

Actually, I already have the Islamic calendar conversion functions done
:) You can basically convert from time_t -> Islamic and vice versa. It
was discussed briefly on gtk-devel recently wether Islamic calendar
functions would be desired to go into glib (apparently not). But it
would be trivial to make the existing code translate an Islamic Date <->
GDate and Islamic Date <-> struct tm.

So while the work for the conversion function is done. It still remains
to see how this would 'fit in' with the existing calendar (which uses
the iCalendar specification). The problem is: does evolution implement
its own way, or should someone propose a set of "extensions" to the IETF
folks?

Also, is somebody actually willing to hack on the GUI portion? (I
unfortunately am too occupied for that, but I can work on cleaning up
the low-level Islamic/Gregorian calendar functions that I coded).

Regards,
Ali