Re: [Evolution] Compiling on RH 7.2

On Sat, 2001-12-15 at 15:07, Ed Weinberg wrote:
I am not sure that this is the right list for this, but I am trying to
compile Evolution on an RH7.2 system which already has Gnome on it.
I downloaded the Evolution src rpm.  I installed it.
RH 7.2 comes with a later version of db3.  I changed the version
number in the configure script so that it would run correctly.  Yes, I
saw the comparability reason for not changing it, but hopefully this
will not leave anything broken so it will at least work on my machine
and other 7.2 machines.  Anyone know how to fix this?

Yes, it's called not changing the script!  You see, every version of
evolution *HAS* to have the same version of db3.  Newer or older than
3.17 (I think) won't work.  This is to ensure that the contacts and
whatnot are always compatible.  The good thing is that evolution is
compiled with it statically rather than dynamically so once you've built
evolution with the right version of db3, you can remove it.

I'm sure I didn't explain this as eloquently as the Ximian folks will,
but that's the gist of it.

--
Brian