Re: [Evolution] IMAP comments

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 05:51:58PM -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
I'm going to look at rewriting a bunch of the IMAP code this weekend
(and next weekend and the weekend after that and so on until it's
usable) but my biggest concern right now is that Evolution already
exposes a number of bugs in various imap servers because we use some of
the more advanced features of the imap protocol that most other imap
mail clients don't use. I have a bad feeling that if we try to do stuff
async, we'll catch a lot more imap server bugs and get even more
complaints about not being able to work with server xyz and server zxy
and so on.

Well, if I find time I'd love to look over the code myself.

I think that the concern about various servers would be sorted out by
an advanced IMAP preferences panel where you can toggle various
features like asynchronous commands. (Asynchronous commands, I'm
pretty sure are used by at least Mulberry, so I don't think evo would
be the first).

That said, the goals of the rewrite should address your concerns (except
the \Recent flag thing... we *could* do it but we'd need to have some
way of showing the difference in the UI and no other gui client makes
the distinction between a \Recent message and a non \Recent message - if
mutt does it, then it's the *only* client that does).

FWIW, Pine does.  That's where I learn the methodology from (my
university had PINE installed).  And Mulberry, which is a payware IMAP
client than my university had a site license for, and I used for a
bit, supports it too.

And I'm almost sure elm distinguished between Old and New messages as
well.

Jules