[Evolution] How can I use evolution to replace Outlook Express with SPA?

Hello

I am new to evolution. Although I have tried to set up it to read my emails
I had no luck.  pop3.compaq.net refuses the connection.

On the Outlook Express I had to click on SPA to allow the download of the
emails from the pop3 server.  Is there way I can do the same with evolution?

pop3.compaq.net requires a complete user name (e.g. emammendes compaq net)

How about smtp with SPA and login password?

Many thanks

Ed