[Evolution] Address completion, is it magic, or just slow

I cannot figure out when evo decides to give me the list of address
completions, or who is on it.

Or why for the matter.

I have one contact with a first name of george.  I have a few emails for
him.  I had nicknames under Netscape with different geo-- to speed up
completeion.  Some of the old records had his name in the contact (in
netscape) all have "geo" in the email.  I have him listed under
lastname, george in evo with multiple emails (very cool).

But in evo, if I type 'g' or 'ge' I get nothing.  At 'geo' I get a
different george.  If I go to 'geor' I get that george and the george I
was looking for.  If I backspace, I get all the george's at geo, and
even more names at 'ge' and then all g's at 'g'.

So it seems like evo caches the lookup for all 'g' after I type 4 chars,
but not 3.

So.....

What is really going on?  I know the DB lookup is slow, but can it be
cached per session (with a check for changed contactdb?).

Is it just really slow (like in 30-40 seconds) and I and finding
behavior?

Is any one else seeing this or just me?

This is happening across a bunch of systems (RH 6.0-2, RH7.1, RH7.2) and
for the last few weeks.

--
Zot O'Connor

http://www.ZotConsulting.com