[Evolution] work offline in imap

I'm curious, what exactly happens with IMAP accounts when you tell
Evolution to work offline?

It takes only about 10-15 seconds on one of my accounts, but varies
wildly on my other one, ranging from 20-30 seconds to 1-2 minutes.

What exactly is going on, and is there any way I can speed it up (since
of course, the times I _do_ it are the times I need to grab my laptop &
run out the door)

My only guess is that it has to do with the relative sizes of my
inboxes; the one is 5 megs, while the other's about 33 megs.

If shrinking my inbox would drastically speed up this process, I guess
it's time for me to break down and start sorting my mail into different
folders.

Thanks

--
David Hoover