Re: [Evolution] Preview Question

On Thu, 2001-08-23 at 08:11, Tom wrote:
A few snapshots ago, I lost the ability to select multiple messages and
have each one show up in the preview window. I thought maybe it was
turned into a configurable option, but I have not found it anywhere.

This was briefly discussed and the good folks at Ximian decided to do
this on purpose, having seen no reason why the last-selected-message
should be shown in the preview window (this discussion may have taken
place in a bug report)... which of course slows things down a bit for
the preview window to be drawn.

I didn't object at the time, and I wish I had--because I found this
behaviour to be very useful as I'm marking multiple messages for
deletion (particularly with something like a mailing list where I want
to delete most of the messages whose subjects are not interesting to me,
but while I've got, say, 10 messages selected, I see something that
looks vaguely interesting, so I'd like to preview it before deleting it.
Does anyone else notice this?

Yes, but it would seem that you and I are the only ones.

FWIW, I think that the biggest problem with previewing the last message
selected would occur when selecting via keyboard, because each
Shift-DownArrow would cause the preview window to be redrawn.  So I
would suggest requring 500ms to elapse before previewing the message;
this would allow the user to rapidly select msgs with the keyboard and
then pause and preview one.

--Eric