Re: [Evolution] Bug in evolution-mail, debugging OAF components...

On 26 Mar 2001 00:41:15 -0800, Thomas H. Ptacek wrote:
Building (on PPC, when are you going to start pushing LinuxPPC binary
snaps?) from the 2001041917 snap, I get an error any time I send mail:

I hit "Send", an error box appears, and says "Unable to send mail:
Cannot parse URL: 'padding'".

The mail appears to get sent anyways, so this is just annoying, not
fatal.

Sounds veyr annoying.

My bigger question:

I can figure out what's happening and fix if I can figure out how to
debug evolution-mail, which appears to be started from OAF and not by
evolution proper. How do Ximian people debug evolution-mail? Do you
really gdb attach to the running process? That never appears to work for
me (RedHat 6.2).

Its very simple, you just run evolution-mail separetely first, before
running evolution, i.e. in a debugger.  This will register the corba
component with oaf, and it wont try and start another one when you run
evolution, but talk to the existing object, etc.

The Mozilla people wrote a handy document for debugging Mozilla. This
kind of thing would be INCREDIBLY useful for Evolution users who can code.
It will also be well worth the time spent writing it.